List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Introduction Of KOSD
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-07-28 16:27:13

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 28 July 2008, Ben Cooksley wrote:
> i am the developer of kosd, which is currently a standalone qt application.
> i would like help turning it into a kde service ( kded ).
> i searched for documentation but couldn't find something.
> in order to do this i would also like help switching over to CMake.

have you read the CMake tutorials on techbase.kde.org? have you looked at
other kded modules, such as the ones in kdebase/runtime?

however, i honestly don't think this belongs in kded. it should be enough to
register a dbus service for it and interact with it that way. i also wonder if
a whole other process is really needed/appropriate for this.

> one i have successfully made a kded module, i would like to work on
> making kmix use it to display notifications about the master volume.

the proper process for this would be to get kosd into playground/ or into
kdereview/ if you feel it is read to move somewhere inside of kde immediately.
you'll also want to explain/document the design of kosd and how it is intended
to work with the rest of the environment. that discussion probably belongs on
kde-core-devel as well.

kosd type functionality is something that belongs in kdebase/workspace if
anywhere, which happens to be where i work =)

so questions i have are:

* what does it do for theming / visuals? (we have a unified system for this in
kde4's workspace)

* what sort of services does it provide?

* how can it be extended as needed?

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se