List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Kicker patches (was Patches and enhancements for KDE 3.5)
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-07-28 15:48:27

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 28 July 2008, Benoit Minisini wrote:
> Then there was many successive embedder hide() and show() in the code. I
> removed them with no apparent visual change in tray icons, unless there is
> no flicker anymore. I tried with tray icons coming from KDE apps, aMule,
> GTK+ apps, QT apps. Why these hide()/show()?

because without them, there are situations where the background will not
repaint properly. they are edge cases, but they do happen in real usage and it
looks horrible when they do. we used to have bug reports about these things,
which i was only able to fix reliably with show/hides. not pretty, but it
works.

this is one of the things you're going to learn about kicker: it's easy to
make things work in the common cases that cover 90% of usage. but increasing
that to 99% and beyond can be really painful. there are a lot of configuration
possibilities with kicker, and many are handled in special case ways or
without much communication between components.

be very careful and test a lot.

and if in doubt, don't remove things like those hide()/show() calls just
because they look odd. chances are they address a problem and are there quite
purposefully.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se