List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Kicker patches (was Patches and enhancements for KDE 3.5)
From:       Benoit Minisini <gambas () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2008-07-24 12:29:53

Hi,

I posted my kate patch to the kwrite-devel mailing-list, but it was not
committed yet.

I continued on fixing kicker transparency, and many other problems. Where
should I submit my patches? I think the kicker mailing-list is deprecated,
and I don't think I should put them on the plasma mailing-list.

Here are the things I fixed:

- I added a SimpleArrowButton class and used it to replace many arrow buttons
in kicker and its applets, so that the look of arrow buttons is consistent.

- I used SimpleButton in the launcher and in the weather applet, so that their
buttons look the same as panel buttons. It allowed me to remove duplicated
code from the launcher applet.

- I fixed the layout routine in the launcher applet, which couldn't stand a
panel smaller than its specified icon size because it didn't take into
account the margin around the buttons.

- I fixed the media applet transparency.

- I drawn the pager desktop names with the same shadow effect as taskbar
buttons, when its transparency mode is set.

- I fixed the ContainerArea and taskbar transparency background when they are
scrollable. To do that, I used 'setBackgroundOrigin(WindowOrigin)'.

- By using WindowOrigin, I didn't need to duplicate pieces of the
ContainerArea background pixmap in each applet anymore.

- I delayed the scroll bar update in the Panner class, so that they do not
appear and disappear for no reason. Not perfect yet...

- I removed the one pixel border when kicker has a background image. (Why a
border in that specific case?)

- I removed the useless margin around applet handlers.

- The applet background is now refreshed during a move, not just at the end.
It is just nicer to see. But it does not work for the taskbar yet.

- When a panel (ExtensionContainer class) can be covered by a window, it was
raised when the mouse went to its screen corner, even if you specified not to
do that in the configuration. I fixed that.

- I wanted that coverable panels stays on the background, even if you click on
it, but I didn't succeed. I think that the "show desktop" button is enough to
access this kind of panels. After all, if you allow windows to cover them, it
should mean that you want the panel to stay in the background, no?

- I made kicker automatically restart when the KDE widget style change.
Otherwise, many widget layouts become invalid. I have a bug with that yet:
with some styles (?), the main panel loses its transparency. By disabling and
enabling it back in the kicker configuration, it comes back. Strange...

- I have problems with the system tray applet transparency yet.

Well, please tell me which fixes and changes could go in the KDE code.

If my patches are accepted, I can continue on fixing the other parts of kicker
I have never used, and that seem to have many transparency and look problems
too.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Regards,

--