List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: OO design help
From:       "Nathan Bradshaw" <nathanlbradshaw () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-07-23 18:57:33

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 2:42 PM, Sebastian Tr=FCg <trueg@k3b.org> wrote:

> On Monday 21 July 2008 23:42:25 Nathan Bradshaw wrote:
> > On a related topic, as things currently stand, is there anyway to tag a
> > virtual entity such as an Album or Artist? The typical scenario is to t=
ag
> > track as embodied in a given file, but if we take the view that a given
> > media file is essentially an implementation of the abstract concept of
> the
> > track, which is from an album, which has an artist etc, is there anyway
> > deal with the abstract components separate to their 'implementation' in=
> > physical file?
>
> That is the ultimate goal. Technically is is perfectly possible. You can
> toy
> around with that using the PIMOShell in playground/base/nepomuk-kde. It
> allows to create any type of resource and even new classes and properties=
.
> You can then of course also tag these new resources.
> For Amarok the ultimate goal is also to use abstract concepts such as
> Artist
> and Album decoupled from the actual files. Files will then "only" be
> incarnations of the abstract concept track.
> But that will take some time. Would you be interested in writing a little
> example tool that tries to create these abstract resources from the id3
> information available? It could even contact services such as last.fm to
> enrich the data.

I'm totally into the idea of coming up with a generic representation of
multimedia data that views files as 'instances' of more abstract informatio=
and will start to have a play with writing a tool like you describe above.

Just because it's pretty close to finished now I want to get the
kmusicbrainz lib wrapped up and that too could be an additional input sourc=
for this type of data.

Fun times :)