List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Idea: KDE3 to KDE4 Settings migration wizard
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-07-16 20:46:42

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 16 July 2008, AJ Venter wrote:
> Of course, this may be superfluous - my next question is, how safe is it
> to copy your entire kde3 data directory to where you will want the new
> kde4 directory to be prior to logging in the first time ? I actually
> couldn't find this on the net easily. How well will KDE4 recognize which
> configs it cannot keep using, which it knows how to import and which to
> discard ?

it actually works pretty well, IME, though some apps don't migrate their old
settings and you have to still reconfigure some things (i found this was the
case when i switched to kde4's kontact from kde3's kontact a couple months
ago, for instance).

the downside is that you can end up with a old cruft in your .kde from kde
that kde4 apps no longer use or care about. it's not the end of the world, nor
all *that* much data (some megabytes worth at most) ... a "clean importer"
might be cool, especially one that picked up the balls that the applications
might drop in the process (i would've liked to not have had to re-configure my
outgoing email accounts, for instance).

it might be particularly nice for larger installations that will eventually
migrate from kde3 to kde4.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se