List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: [rfc] Preparing for binary compatibility
From:       Stefan Majewsky <majewsky () gmx ! net>
Date:       2008-07-16 8:00:26

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 16 July 2008 02:51:45 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> i see you have a comment next to createConfigurationInterface() about
> ownership; if the config widget is meant to go into a dialog, you may want
> to consider passing in a QWidget* to use as the parent for the
> configuration widget and consider how to notify the subclass that the user
> accepted the config (e.g. pressed Apply or Ok) ...

I thought about this, but did not see how this improves my situation. As you
already saw, my main concern is ownership: The PatternConfiguration class or
subclass creates some widgets which will appear in the configuration widget
shown in the "New puzzle" dialog (and nowhere else). From the
PatternConfiguration's point of view, there is IMHO not much difference if it
creates a widget with a layout itself, or just loads a layout into some given
widget. (Or is there something I oversaw?)

On the "notify that the user accepted the config" point: That is not necessary
at all. Only the game management in Palapeli core knows that the ok button was
clicked. It then calls the PatternConfiguration to create a Pattern class
which automatically gets the current configuration from the
PatternConfiguration.

> the readArgumentsBase and writeArgumentsBase methods are named a bit oddly
> perhaps; i might just remove the words "Base" there, but that's just me =)

readArguments and writeArguments functions do already exist to be
reimplemented by the plugin, they have to call the "...Base" functions to let
the base class do its own IO. I just realize that it might be better to let
Palapeli call the "...Base" functions (without "Base" then) and letting these
call the pure virtual IO function.