List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE4 graphics tweaks page
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-07-14 20:28:16

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 14 July 2008, koos vriezen wrote:
> 2008/7/14 Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo@kde.org>:
> > if we try and blacklist based on card-and-driver combinations, we'll give
> > driver writers an excuse not to work on these features (which we really
> > do need to provide the best possible experience) and we'll still miss
> > certain combinations.
>
> Yes I completely agree with your argumentations. However, that's why I
> mentioned versions, nvidia-glx 173.14.09 will never work properly if
> our software doesn't adapt for it.

this information isn't really available to the application, however. we might
be able to query the gl driver and suss it out based on that ... but holy
hacks batman, and we still wouldn't cover all the bad combinations.

the obvious solution is "don't use those drivers". distros are really
responsible for providing a decent OOTB experience when it comes to such
system integration issues. in fact, that's one of their primary contributions.
that's not a job for kde.

> The issue is known, why give them a bad feeling.

i thought i just explained that, actually ;)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se