List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE4 and the nvidia driver
From:       Erik de Groot <edg72 () home ! nl>
Date:       2008-07-13 19:00:17

Hi,

For the moment I have to use the 169.12 driver because any 17x.xx driver
instantaneously crashes my x-server (1.4x) on start-up and I haven't figured
out why.
Anyway I saw a noticeable improvement in desktop responsiveness (re-sizing
windows, minimizing and restoring windows etc.) when applying
InitialPixmapPlacement=2 and setting the Open GL mode to "shared memory" .
Apparently the 169.xx series do not know the GlyphCache option, so I couldn't
try that one. My card uses a GeForce 8500 GT b.t.w.

Once I have figured out how to use the 17x series drivers on my system I will
try the GlyphCache option as well.

Indeed it is a very good idea to put experiences of people on a wiki because
we cannot expect people to crawl through mailing lists to get the best nvidia
driver settings once KDE 4.1 is out in the field. When they have no access to
information on this in a reasonably comfortable way, they will definitively
blame KDE for this problem.

Best Regards,
Erik