List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE4 and the nvidia driver
From:       Pierre <pinaraf () pinaraf ! info>
Date:       2008-07-13 12:32:06

On Saturday 12 July 2008 23:51:14 Michael Leupold wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> so far I've been reluctant to use KDE4 as my main desktop because the
> performance was pretty sloppy due to my nvidia 8600 GTS. Fortunately I've
> stumbled on some instructions on how to improve performance using those
> cards [1]:
> 1) Install the latest nvidia beta driver (currently 177.13)
> 2) Set the following options:
> $ nvidia-settings -a InitialPixmapPlacement=2 -a GlyphCache=1
>
> (Hint: some users reported it worked with InitialPixmapPlacement=1 for
> them)
>
> This worked really well for me (plasma really responsive), so I thought I'd
> share it.
It does improve the performance a bit for me (GeForce 8600M GT), but that's
far from making the system usable.
I often have some small X freezes, where nothing answers for a few seconds...

> To make kwin work well with those new settings I had to adjust
> Settings->Desktop->D. Effects / Advanced Options to:
> - Compositing type: OpenGL
> - OpenGL mode: Shared Memory
Well, this works if you're lucky enough to be able to enable desktop effects !
Often, X freezes for at least 10 seconds when I enable them. That's enough for
the "timeout" and KWin decides to disable effects then...