List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Open question to all developers.
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-06-26 18:38:11

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thursday 26 June 2008, Malte Dik wrote:
> Well, I'm not a person asked, but I'll add to the conversation anyway... :>

thanks for joining; i agree with pretty much everything you wrote (except the
parts i don't ;)

> I wrote the above in the morning. The reason I didn't send it was the
> missing 'someone' between KDE and the users spreading the word. There's

this is where the idea for a for-the-users, by-the-users KDE Users Advisory
Council could come in: a small group of people (10? 15?) from the more
experienced users you mention that can serve as a liaison.

let the marketing team handle the press, but for our user base that is, as you
note, spread out across many sites and communities out there, such an advisory
council could be managable (time-wise) for the KDE development community to
interface with, and would be able to coordinate information for the user base.

i do think all the necessary human pieces exist "out there" on the internet,
it just needs some organization.

> And to the wiki-idea: http://wiki.kde.org/tiki-index.php?page=KDE4
> It was last edited december 2007. Forget it. It won't work.

and yet techbase works really rather well. what's the difference? management.

a wiki isn't magic: it needs tending, it needs care, it needs an editorial
board of some sort to keep it going nicely.

a user info centric wiki run like techbase is would, imho, work wonderfully.
unlike wiki.kde.org (where the software works fine, but the content doesn't)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se