List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Application for backups
From:       Eike Welk <eike.welk () post ! rwth-aachen ! de>
Date:       2008-06-16 10:25:39

On Sunday 15 June 2008 19:16, Grzegorz Kamola wrote:
> Hi kde-devel,
>
> AFAIK users ask for application for making backups. Are there any
> attempts to build one? Is anybody interested in developing
> KTimeMachine?

Hello Grzegorz!

There is KDar, but there seems to be very few activity on it.
The authors seem to be slowly porting the program to KDE 4.
http://kdar.sourceforge.net/

Maybe merging KDar and Kamion would be a good idea. You would need a
storage backend and this could be dar. Dar can remember deleted files
when doing incremental backups. It also really works with Utf8
filenames because the developer comes from France. Being able to use
CDs/DVDs for storage is also good.

An other idea, that I find interesting, is to write an installer for
one of the bigger backup applications. This installer would be
specially targeted for small offices or even to run everything on the
same computer.
Projects I know are:
http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/
http://www.bacula.org/en/

Kind regards,
Eike.

PS: Sorry for duplicate posting, I got confused with my Email
addresses.