List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Reconciliation? [formerly "Re: apologies"]
From:       Matthew Woehlke <mw_triad () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2008-06-14 1:45:27

Mark A. Taff wrote:
>  I don't see any need to not be
> offensive when responding to offensive remarks made towards me.  I do not
> turn the other cheek.  I subscribe to tit for tat (shown to be a highly
> effective strategy).

If your goal is to fan the flames, then I'm sure it's an effective
strategy. Clearly it *isn't* very effective at not resulting in people
getting pissed off.

Sorry for contributing to this perpetuation, but that's one thing I
can't just let go.

> As for Plasma being problematic, I do not see how that could be construed as
> me saying that you don't know how to develop software, [snip]

In an emotionally-charged conversation, it's easy to read animosity
where none was intended, sometimes when where none was present. That's
why IMO the strategy you (Mark) cite above is the WORST possible
strategy in such a situation. I'm curious, actually, under what
circumstances you feel that strategy is "highly effective". (I'm
assuming that your intention is *not* to troll ;-).)

(JRT, are you still reading? This sort of thing is why it's important to
*be* polite, or more appropriately, "diplomatic", even if you aren't
that way by nature. Logic usually does not triumph over human nature, as
annoying as that may be to the logical person.)

> I mean, if you want to offend U.S. combat veterans such as myself, [snip]

Ah... military situations is one place I can see where responding to
force with greater force could be effective :-). However, Aaron's total
surrender (which he notes he is (was?) contemplating) should NOT be the
objective, here.

--
Matthew
Oh, the double-entendre!