On Tuesday 10 June 2008 04:56:48 Kevin Krammer wrote: > On Tuesday 10 June 2008, Mark A. Taff wrote: > > On Monday 09 June 2008 17:42:42 Christopher Blauvelt wrote: > > > Then write it, or pay someone to do it. > > > > Which is *exactly* what the topic of this thread is. Should we fork KDE? > > Or Kdesktop? Or fix Plasma? > > Well, I think the topic orginally was about continuing to developer KDE3 > feature wise as a separate project. > Up to this point most people have come to the conclusion that working on > improving KDE4 is a more realistic approach. > > > Of course, you are only joking. I seriously doubt kcd would allow us to > > start screwing with Plasma to reimplement missing desktop features. The > > first time we changed something in a way that didn't fit into the Plasma > > devs idea of the Right-Way, my svn credentials would probably be yanked > > straight away. > > Since I am not involved with this part of the KDE technology stack this > could be wrong, but my understanding is that one does not have to change > Plasma core technology but that any kind of user interface functionality or > behavior can be implemented as a loadable component of some sort. > > > Even if I had the money, which I don't (though I have traditionally been > > a financial supporter of some KDE software), I would not be permitted to > > pay someone to implement what I wanted if what I wanted happened to > > conflict with Aaron's roadmap for Plasma. > > > > The fact is, "write it or pay someone to do it" only applies *after* you > > have won the debate, at least within the confines of a software project. > > Actually no. > Especially features developed on contract basis are almost always done in a > branch, so that the contractor can concentrate on delivering the requested > items and not having to deal with probably conflicting changes to the main > line code. > > Even if a competing feature set would require changes to some technology > core, its development would proceed unharmed in its branch. > Once it is actually possible to evaluate the impact of proposed changes, > chances are a lot higher to find agreement between involved parties. > > Nobody will revoke commit access for anyone even for highly experiemental > work as long as it is done properly. > Any development that requires deeper changes on already existing code is > done this way, e.g. Solid and Phonon developers had their own branches of > kdelibs until they had stabilized their respective changes to that code > base. > > Cheers, > Kevin Good point Kevin, like Jason. Thanks. --Mark >> Visit http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-devel#unsub to unsubscribe <<