List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Feeding trolls
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2008-06-10 18:55:02

Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> On Tuesday 10 June 2008, Nathan Bradshaw wrote:
>> you have brought absolutely nothing of value to this list. This is a
>> development list and you've devolved it into a showcase for your petty
>> banter and weird, deranged personal agenda with Aaron.
>
> In fact, this thread shows to a nicety what Sussman calls "poisonous people"
> can do to a project
> (http://www.slideshare.net/oscon2007/os-fitzpatrick-sussman). He's more
> guarded in his book
> (http://producingoss.com/en/producingoss.html#handling-difficult-people), but
> it's the same thing: people who contribute little but drain the energy of the
> people who actually do the work by starting the same
> unproductive "discussions" over and over.

Doesn't justify NB's ad hominem attacks.  In fact, you might think that
those that resort to personal attacks are the real "poisonous people".

> Small wonder Aaron gets fed up: he and the plasma people have created
> something really great, flexbile and powerful that makes my daughters
> go "wow!" when they see my desktop -- and all these self-righteous
> do-nothings do is yammering for something they've got already and demanding
> that people spend valuable time paying attention to them. These people are
> pure poison to a free software project.

Yep, you are clearly one of those that think that "user" should be
spelled with an 'l' (looser).

Aaron gets fed up because he has an attitude problem.  He seems to have
a need to tell users that make suggestions that they are wrong.  This is
a useless waste of his time.  I will not say that he is poisonous, but
this is clearly dysfunctional.

Users pay his salary and he should accept their feedback and treat them
with respect.  But he does not respect users.

You don't have my email, which I posted in direct response to a request
by another developer, where I listed some of the features I found
missing in the current desktop.  What did Aaron do, he went through it
line by line telling me that I was wrong without really reading and
understanding what I said.  I posted a reply and he did the same thing.
  Sometimes his micro replies to parts of a paragraph contradict each other.

It takes two to make an argument and Aaron chooses to argue with users.

--
JRT