List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Fork of KDE4/Qt3?
From:       Jason Stubbs <jasonbstubbs () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-06-10 11:53:26

On Tuesday 10 June 2008 10:48:15 JST, Mark A. Taff wrote:
> On Monday 09 June 2008 17:42:42 Christopher Blauvelt wrote:
> > Then write it, or pay someone to do it.
>
> Which is *exactly* what the topic of this thread is.  Should we fork KDE?
> Or Kdesktop? Or fix Plasma?
>
> Of course, you are only joking.  I seriously doubt kcd would allow us to
> start screwing with Plasma to reimplement missing desktop features.  The
> first time we changed something in a way that didn't fit into the Plasma
> devs idea of the Right-Way, my svn credentials would probably be yanked
> straight away.

I've mostly ignored this thread, but after reading a couple of random replies
I figured yours needs replying too. I'm sure there are many others more like
it, but yours is just the one I came across.

As far as my knowledge goes, the ability (read: visible configuration) to use
any containment plasmoid in the "root window" is on the road map for 4.2.
There aren't any blockers to creating a set of KDE3-emulating desktop and
panel plasmoids.

And yes, you are fine to "start screwing with plasma to reimplement missing
desktop features". Just do it in playground. When it becomes ready, it'll do
the rounds and could possibly even end up in the base packages.

The point of plasma is not to force you to use a single panel/desktop but is
actually the complete opposite.

--
Jason Stubbs