List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Fork of KDE4/Qt3?
From:       Benoît_Jacob <jacob () math ! jussieu ! fr>
Date:       2008-06-10 8:07:38

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday 10 June 2008 06:09:45 Mark A. Taff wrote:
> (Please do speak up everyone if you approve of Aaron telling KDE
> contributors they are stupid -- let's get a roll call vote on this one.)

I just loosely skimmed through this thread but was certainly very annoyed to
receive it in my mailbox.

Regarding the topic of the thread, all what matters is that plasma, as a
framework, is more extensible and flexible than any other desktop
architecture. So if somebody is not happy about the current look or
functionality of the plasma desktop, it's easier than ever to fix it to suit
your taste. For example, regarding desktop icons, if the current solution
with the FolderView applet doesn't satisfy you, then just modify that applet
or write your own. Definitely easier and more powerful than modifying
KDesktop in KDE 3.5. Plasma even allows you to write your applet in your
favorite the scripting language.

Please guys remember these few things:
- don't take devs for granted.
- KDE is a very open project, very easy to join. If you'd like to become a
  plasma coder then just connect to #plasma on freenode and say you'd like to
  and people will help you get started. Or write to this list,
  or to panel-devel@kde.org, and introduce yourself and say you'd like to
  help. You'll be glad you've done that.
- if you're not happy about the current state of things, file bug reports.
- but if you care enough about it to send *dozens* of e-mails to this
  *developer's* mailing list, then do instead *fix it yourself*.

Benoit