List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Fork of KDE4/Qt3?
From:       David Johnson <david () usermode ! org>
Date:       2008-06-08 18:13:07

James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> There is, however, the question of whether Kicker/KDeskTop from KDE3
> should be ported to KDE4.  This should have some things fixed in the
> process.  The current version has bugs and regressions, as well as some
> design issues with Panel/DeskTop icons.  In retrospect, it appears to me
> that that is what should have been done.  Whether that means that it now
> should be done is another question.

While I think the Plasma idea of using Graphics View as the desktop is a
great idea, I too miss the old desktop/panel. I want the desktop to
represent my Desktop (or home) directory. I want to drag files from the
web onto the desktop, and have them be real files. Etc. Etc.

Porting over KDesktop to KDE4 is a moderate task, but porting over
Kicker would be a major pain. I do have a tiny itch to create an
alternative to Kicker, but to be fair, it's the same itch I've had since
2.0. I'll give Plasma a few more months to get into working shape.

--
David