List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Fork of KDE4/Qt3?
From:       Eduardo Robles Elvira <edulix () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-06-07 22:25:56

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

El Domingo 08 Junio 2008, ThEgRaZe escribió:
> I have sacrificed some time to KDE3 with KDE4 to compare, and I came
> to the conclusion that KDE4 can not replace my KDE3. Optical is KDE4
> although beautiful, but plasma gives me headaches and the appliance
> isn't my type.
>
> Therefore, I have a question: Plans anybody a fork of KDE3? That were
> "kool". I once heard that someone had something planned, but what is
> with this?

I suppsoe that the title of this thread should be "Fork of KDE3/Qt3. I haven't
heard of anything like what you suggest. Honestly I don't think it's feasible
to continue developing KDE3 doing a fork  because:

1. First of all, I find much easier to fix KDE4 than to continue developing
KDE3. Notice that KDE3 has million of lines of code!
2. As in most Open Source software, lots of KDE applications are in need of
more developers. And that's talking about KDE4. Having restricted resources
for KDE4, finding enough of them for KDE3 seems highly unrealistic to me.

Good luck with that though, I'm still using KDE3 at the moment (with some KDE4
apps), and that's being a KDE4 developer.

Cheers,
       Eduardo Robles Elvira.
depends on the unreasonable man." (George Bernard Shaw)