Hi, > 29. K menu -> Utilities icon looks somewhat like a terminal. However > the terminal program, Konsole, is in System, which looks like a > cog wheel. This is confusing. Looks like a bug somewhere. On my system the terminal icon does look like a terminal and the "System" icon looks like a cog-whell. Regards, Robert. On Sat, 2008-05-31 at 23:39 +0300, Sami Liedes wrote: > [Retry, hope you don't get this twice - although I did add a couple of > items.] > > Hi, > > I tested KDE 4.1 rc1 from Debian experimental for a few hours, > configuring it and just doing stuff I'd normally do, and here's a list > of issues I found. I wasn't sure you would like me to file dozens of > bugs, so here they are all for now, in no specific order. > > I'm testing it on amd64, Intel display card on a HP laptop. Generally > I try to turn at least all animations off (I just don't like them). > > The screenshots I refer to are available at > http://www.hut.fi/~sliedes/kde4/ > . > > 1. General brokenness with bigger-than-default fonts. I use font size > 11 on my laptop (on which I tested KDE), and that seems to break > things. On my desktop I use font size 12, and if my monitor was > bigger and hence farther away, I'd probably use even bigger > fonts. :) > - see font-size-*.png > > 2. I can't figure out how to use the control center keyboard shortcuts > configuration thing with keyboard. Specifically how to expand an > item to show the mini-window or something that lets me change the > shortcut. > > 3. The keyboard shortcuts pane doesn't scroll down until too late when > scrolling with keyboard when an item is opened. > - see kb-shortcuts-scroll-[123].png. I pressed the down arrow key > between those shots. > > 4. Konsole context menu has an item named "Change profile". It seems > to me it could mean either "modify a/the profile" or "change to a > profile". Turns out it means the latter. Perhaps consider changing > it to "Switch to profile" or something? > > 5. In Konsole, the scrollback size is now limited to 10000 unless set > to unlimited. I used to have a scrollback buffer of 25000 in KDE > 3.5, now I can't. > > 6. In Konsole, in the Advanced tab of Edit current profile, there is > a checkbox "Enable flow control using Ctrl+S , Ctrl+Q". > - The string has an extra space before the ',' > - The option is disabled (grayed out). Why? > - see konsole-flow-control.png > > 7. In Gwenview, there is no default keyboard shortcut for > Browse. Hence I think it's not very usable by keyboard without > configuring it. > > 8. In Konqueror, by default ctrl-minus works, but ctrl-+ not. Turns > out the default key to zoom in is ctrl-=, which isn't very > logical. And on my keyboard (and probably dozens of others), = is > in shift-0. > > 9. In Konqueror, configure shortcuts, the alphabetical display idea > doesn't IMHO work very well. For example, it would be nicer if > "Shrink font" and "Enlarge font" were somehow grouped together. > > 10. Some global shortcuts seem really weird, and it's not obvious > where they work. For example, "Go to KDE website", which is bound > to "E"(!) > - see shortcut-goto-kde-site-e.png > > 11. In Control center, shortcuts seem to report that they conflict > with themselves. Also they often just don't work. > - see shortcut-self-conflict.png > - might this have something to do with the fact that there are > both categories "System settings" and "kwin", which seem to > overlap? > - see kb-shortcuts-components.png > - also might this have to do with the fact that I had a ~/.kde > from KDE 3.5.9 before I installed KDE 4.1 rc1? > > 12. In the shortcuts pane, when I scroll around with PgUp/PgDown, an > opened shortcut screen (the one that lets me change the shortcut) > often ends up on the text. > - see shortcut-window-on-text.png to see what I mean > > 13. In shortcuts, there are lots of redundant tooltips. Every shortcut > is tooltipped with its name, the very same that is already > displayed. Also when a shortcut is expanded, every item inside > that pane is tooltipped with the shortcut's name. > - see shortcuts-tooltips-*.png > > 14. Some of the "global" shortcuts are very application specific, like > "Remap Ctrl-W to Ctrl-F4 in Qt Designer". > - see kb-shortcuts-components.png > > 15. Is there a shortcut to open the K menu? Why can't I find it? At > least alt-F1 doesn't work. > > 16. Is (manual) panel hiding gone? No more hide buttons in the edges > of the panel. > > 17. In control center, mouse, "num pad" should perhaps be expanded to > "number pad". > - see control-mouse-num-pad.png > > 18. This might be Debian specific, but a some icons just aren't > there. Like everything by default on the desktop, and in control > center, Autostart. > - see missing-icons.png > > 19. In control center -> desktop effects, just switching to the other > tab marks it dirty (modified) so that when I move to another > module, I get asked if I want to apply the changes. > > 20. Configuring the number of desktops. It seems to me that this > should also be accessible from the control center, not only by > right-clicking pager. Or didn't I just find it? > > 21. The expose/whatever effect. I think it would be nice if it was > possible to switch between the different modes (windows on current > desktop, windows on all desktops, all desktops) by pressing the > relevant shortcut (ctrl-f8/9/10 by default) without pressing ESC > in between. > > 22. Click the K menu, move mouse to Leave, move mouse down so it's on > the panel, click to close the menu, don't move mouse further, > click - while the pointer is above the task manager, clicks go to > the K menu button (or at least open the K menu). Only moving the > mouse highlights the window button below the mouse. > > 23. Menus, those without any effects, feel somehow slow. I think it > takes maybe .2 or .3 seconds to open a normal menu, eg. in > gwenview (or any other KDE program). I have all animations turned > off. > > 24. When waiting for a reply from a site, I think Konqueror should > show "Connecting 10.0.0.1..." or something in the status bar. Now > the only indication something is happening is animating the konq > icon, and it's so tiny that it's easily not noticed. At the same > time, the status bar says whatever was left there before, like > "Canceled". > > 25. In Konqueror, shortcut settings, open a shortcut edit > window. Closing it reopens it. This happens twice. Maybe related > with the next item. > > 26. Why is everything in Konq default search engine settings tripled? > - see konq-search-engines-tripled.png > > 27. Konqueror web cache, proxy settings, cookies, browser ident > windows say "This configuration item is already opened in System > Settings". No, they're not. > > 28. The keyboard switcher flag is shown 1.5 times in the taskbar. > - see kb-switcher-taskbar.png > > 29. K menu -> Utilities icon looks somewhat like a terminal. However > the terminal program, Konsole, is in System, which looks like a > cog wheel. This is confusing. > > 30. In the new style K menu, is the scrollbar the only way to scroll > it with a mouse without a scroll wheel? The scroll bar is so > narrow (well, a standard scroll bar) that this makes using the > menu without a wheel mouse very clumsy. > > 31. In Konqueror settings, when I choose to change my home page, the > browse button opens a *folder* selection dialog. Hmm? > > 32. Why does the Konqueror settings window always stay above the > browser? Ok, I can see what this can be good for, but it's very > limiting, especially as the dialog doesn't have a minimize button. > > 33. In Konqueror, even when I disable animations, animated gifs are > still animated. > > 34. In Konqueror, in the location field, text cursor is not shown if > there are any completions shown. This makes editing the current > url hard. > > 35. In Konqueror, pressing ctrl-l to get to the location field now > clears it. That's not nice. Perhaps I just want to modify the url > a bit, fix a typo or something. How do I do that without using a > mouse? > > 36. When I start Konqueror from alt-f2, why does it try to go to > file:///home/user/application/x-webarchive? > > 37. In the alt-f2 run command interface, I think using the shade of > gray that is now used for completion is not good. It's too dark, > too close to the black text to tell quickly apart. Consider using > either lighter gray or some other color. > > 38. In the panel, the plug-in device icon is nondescriptive. It looks > like a laptop, doesn't immediately speak anything about > devices. Perhaps the semi-standard device icon could be used > instead? > > 39. In Konsole, Edit current profile, Appearance, is there a way to > turn off the animation? Generally the first thing I do when I > configure KDE, after increasing font sizes, is to turn all > animations off. I just don't like what I do artificially slowed > down by eye candy :) > > 40. In Konqueror, when I get an untrusted certificate, showing details > shows "Trusted: TODO". > - see ssl-cert-trusted-todo.png > > 41. Konqueror for some reason asks about restoring session when I > start a second instance, and also every time I open a new window > with Ctrl-N. Also it seems that not always any session is > restored. > > 42. In the asking about restoring session dialog, "Ask me later" is > slightly confusing. Later when? When I next start Konqueror? > > 43. ksnapshot window titlebar says "[modified]" even when the current > snapshot has been saved. > > 44. In Konqueror, pressing enter after typing an URL freezes the > browser for a while when the network is not responding. Does it > block when resolving the host or something? > > 45. The task manager seems to take several seconds to react to > changing desktops using ctrl-F[1234]. > > 46. In Konqueror, it seems when I middle-click a link to open it in a > new tab, there is no immediate feedback and the tab is only opened > after something has been loaded, which might well be tens of > seconds later. > > 47. It often happens that when I enter login information into some web > form, KDE asks if I want to save it in my wallet. When I click > yes, it asks for the wallet password. However Konqueror will > present its cookie acceptance question form above the kwallet > password input dialog, stealing focus. > > 48. In Konsole, it is not immediately obvious that the way to change > how it looks like is to choose "Edit current profile". > > 49. It has happened already a few times to me that when I refresh a > tab in Konqueror by pressing F5, Konqueror just disappears. It > doesn't segfault, I could see that from dmesg. I don't know what > happens. > > I must say 4.1rc1 seems much more promising than 4.0 (I also needed > KOrganizer so I went back to 3.5.9 anyway), but seems to me there are > still some rough edges :) Keep up the good work! > > Sami > > >> Visit http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-devel#unsub to unsubscribe << >> Visit http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-devel#unsub to unsubscribe <<