List:       kde-devel
Subject:    KDE 4.1 rc1 issues
From:       Sami Liedes <sliedes () cc ! hut ! fi>
Date:       2008-05-31 20:39:56

[Retry, hope you don't get this twice - although I did add a couple of
items.]

Hi,

I tested KDE 4.1 rc1 from Debian experimental for a few hours,
configuring it and just doing stuff I'd normally do, and here's a list
of issues I found. I wasn't sure you would like me to file dozens of
bugs, so here they are all for now, in no specific order.

I'm testing it on amd64, Intel display card on a HP laptop. Generally
I try to turn at least all animations off (I just don't like them).

The screenshots I refer to are available at
http://www.hut.fi/~sliedes/kde4/
.

1. General brokenness with bigger-than-default fonts. I use font size
   11 on my laptop (on which I tested KDE), and that seems to break
   things. On my desktop I use font size 12, and if my monitor was
   bigger and hence farther away, I'd probably use even bigger
   fonts. :)
     - see font-size-*.png

2. I can't figure out how to use the control center keyboard shortcuts
   configuration thing with keyboard. Specifically how to expand an
   item to show the mini-window or something that lets me change the
   shortcut.

3. The keyboard shortcuts pane doesn't scroll down until too late when
   scrolling with keyboard when an item is opened.
     - see kb-shortcuts-scroll-[123].png. I pressed the down arrow key
       between those shots.

4. Konsole context menu has an item named "Change profile". It seems
   to me it could mean either "modify a/the profile" or "change to a
   profile". Turns out it means the latter. Perhaps consider changing
   it to "Switch to profile" or something?

5. In Konsole, the scrollback size is now limited to 10000 unless set
   to unlimited. I used to have a scrollback buffer of 25000 in KDE
   3.5, now I can't.

6. In Konsole, in the Advanced tab of Edit current profile, there is
   a checkbox "Enable flow control using Ctrl+S , Ctrl+Q".
     - The string has an extra space before the ','
     - The option is disabled (grayed out). Why?
     - see konsole-flow-control.png

7. In Gwenview, there is no default keyboard shortcut for
   Browse. Hence I think it's not very usable by keyboard without
   configuring it.

8. In Konqueror, by default ctrl-minus works, but ctrl-+ not. Turns
   out the default key to zoom in is ctrl-=, which isn't very
   logical. And on my keyboard (and probably dozens of others), = is
   in shift-0.

9. In Konqueror, configure shortcuts, the alphabetical display idea
   doesn't IMHO work very well. For example, it would be nicer if
   "Shrink font" and "Enlarge font" were somehow grouped together.

10. Some global shortcuts seem really weird, and it's not obvious
    where they work. For example, "Go to KDE website", which is bound
    to "E"(!)
      - see shortcut-goto-kde-site-e.png

11. In Control center, shortcuts seem to report that they conflict
    with themselves. Also they often just don't work.
      - see shortcut-self-conflict.png
      - might this have something to do with the fact that there are
        both categories "System settings" and "kwin", which seem to
        overlap?
	- see kb-shortcuts-components.png
      - also might this have to do with the fact that I had a ~/.kde
        from KDE 3.5.9 before I installed KDE 4.1 rc1?

12. In the shortcuts pane, when I scroll around with PgUp/PgDown, an
    opened shortcut screen (the one that lets me change the shortcut)
    often ends up on the text.
      - see shortcut-window-on-text.png to see what I mean

13. In shortcuts, there are lots of redundant tooltips. Every shortcut
    is tooltipped with its name, the very same that is already
    displayed. Also when a shortcut is expanded, every item inside
    that pane is tooltipped with the shortcut's name.
      - see shortcuts-tooltips-*.png

14. Some of the "global" shortcuts are very application specific, like
    "Remap Ctrl-W to Ctrl-F4 in Qt Designer".
      - see kb-shortcuts-components.png

15. Is there a shortcut to open the K menu? Why can't I find it? At
    least alt-F1 doesn't work.

16. Is (manual) panel hiding gone? No more hide buttons in the edges
    of the panel.

17. In control center, mouse, "num pad" should perhaps be expanded to
    "number pad".
      - see control-mouse-num-pad.png

18. This might be Debian specific, but a some icons just aren't
    there. Like everything by default on the desktop, and in control
    center, Autostart.
      - see missing-icons.png

19. In control center -> desktop effects, just switching to the other
    tab marks it dirty (modified) so that when I move to another
    module, I get asked if I want to apply the changes.

20. Configuring the number of desktops. It seems to me that this
    should also be accessible from the control center, not only by
    right-clicking pager. Or didn't I just find it?

21. The expose/whatever effect. I think it would be nice if it was
    possible to switch between the different modes (windows on current
    desktop, windows on all desktops, all desktops) by pressing the
    relevant shortcut (ctrl-f8/9/10 by default) without pressing ESC
    in between.

22. Click the K menu, move mouse to Leave, move mouse down so it's on
    the panel, click to close the menu, don't move mouse further,
    click - while the pointer is above the task manager, clicks go to
    the K menu button (or at least open the K menu). Only moving the
    mouse highlights the window button below the mouse.

23. Menus, those without any effects, feel somehow slow. I think it
    takes maybe .2 or .3 seconds to open a normal menu, eg. in
    gwenview (or any other KDE program). I have all animations turned
    off.

24. When waiting for a reply from a site, I think Konqueror should
    show "Connecting 10.0.0.1..." or something in the status bar. Now
    the only indication something is happening is animating the konq
    icon, and it's so tiny that it's easily not noticed. At the same
    time, the status bar says whatever was left there before, like
    "Canceled".

25. In Konqueror, shortcut settings, open a shortcut edit
    window. Closing it reopens it. This happens twice. Maybe related
    with the next item.

26. Why is everything in Konq default search engine settings tripled?
      - see konq-search-engines-tripled.png

27. Konqueror web cache, proxy settings, cookies, browser ident
    windows say "This configuration item is already opened in System
    Settings". No, they're not.

28. The keyboard switcher flag is shown 1.5 times in the taskbar.
      - see kb-switcher-taskbar.png

29. K menu -> Utilities icon looks somewhat like a terminal. However
    the terminal program, Konsole, is in System, which looks like a
    cog wheel. This is confusing.

30. In the new style K menu, is the scrollbar the only way to scroll
    it with a mouse without a scroll wheel? The scroll bar is so
    narrow (well, a standard scroll bar) that this makes using the
    menu without a wheel mouse very clumsy.

31. In Konqueror settings, when I choose to change my home page, the
    browse button opens a *folder* selection dialog. Hmm?

32. Why does the Konqueror settings window always stay above the
    browser? Ok, I can see what this can be good for, but it's very
    limiting, especially as the dialog doesn't have a minimize button.

33. In Konqueror, even when I disable animations, animated gifs are
    still animated.

34. In Konqueror, in the location field, text cursor is not shown if
    there are any completions shown. This makes editing the current
    url hard.

35. In Konqueror, pressing ctrl-l to get to the location field now
    clears it. That's not nice. Perhaps I just want to modify the url
    a bit, fix a typo or something. How do I do that without using a
    mouse?

36. When I start Konqueror from alt-f2, why does it try to go to
    file:///home/user/application/x-webarchive?

37. In the alt-f2 run command interface, I think using the shade of
    gray that is now used for completion is not good. It's too dark,
    too close to the black text to tell quickly apart. Consider using
    either lighter gray or some other color.

38. In the panel, the plug-in device icon is nondescriptive. It looks
    like a laptop, doesn't immediately speak anything about
    devices. Perhaps the semi-standard device icon could be used
    instead?

39. In Konsole, Edit current profile, Appearance, is there a way to
    turn off the animation? Generally the first thing I do when I
    configure KDE, after increasing font sizes, is to turn all
    animations off. I just don't like what I do artificially slowed
    down by eye candy :)

40. In Konqueror, when I get an untrusted certificate, showing details
    shows "Trusted: TODO".
      - see ssl-cert-trusted-todo.png

41. Konqueror for some reason asks about restoring session when I
    start a second instance, and also every time I open a new window
    with Ctrl-N. Also it seems that not always any session is
    restored.

42. In the asking about restoring session dialog, "Ask me later" is
    slightly confusing. Later when? When I next start Konqueror?

43. ksnapshot window titlebar says "[modified]" even when the current
    snapshot has been saved.

44. In Konqueror, pressing enter after typing an URL freezes the
    browser for a while when the network is not responding. Does it
    block when resolving the host or something?

45. The task manager seems to take several seconds to react to
    changing desktops using ctrl-F[1234].

46. In Konqueror, it seems when I middle-click a link to open it in a
    new tab, there is no immediate feedback and the tab is only opened
    after something has been loaded, which might well be tens of
    seconds later.

47. It often happens that when I enter login information into some web
    form, KDE asks if I want to save it in my wallet. When I click
    yes, it asks for the wallet password. However Konqueror will
    present its cookie acceptance question form above the kwallet
    password input dialog, stealing focus.

48. In Konsole, it is not immediately obvious that the way to change
    how it looks like is to choose "Edit current profile".

49. It has happened already a few times to me that when I refresh a
    tab in Konqueror by pressing F5, Konqueror just disappears. It
    doesn't segfault, I could see that from dmesg. I don't know what
    happens.

I must say 4.1rc1 seems much more promising than 4.0 (I also needed
KOrganizer so I went back to 3.5.9 anyway), but seems to me there are
still some rough edges :) Keep up the good work!

	Sami