List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Extended keyboard utility in KDE?
From:       Thiago Macieira <thiago () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-05-25 13:08:47

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Ian Wadham wrote:
>I have a US keyboard with no accented keys or Euro signs.
>
>Given the membership of KDE and my belief that it is important
>to get people's names right, is there a KDE utility that gives you
>something like an on-screen display of non-English keys?
>
>At present I cut and paste from somewhere or, if all else fails,
>start up Open Office and use its Insert->Special Character...
>menu action and dialog box, then cut and paste.

Suggestions (all independent from each other, some conflicting):

1) use kcharselect

2) use the us(euro) keyboard layout

3) edit your /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/us and add the line:
	include "latin"
to the bottom of the "basic" section. You can then use the AltGr key on
your keyboard (the Right Alt key if yours isn't marked) to access extra
symbols

4) use the us(alt-intl) keyboard layout

5) 4 + add the include "latin" line to the "alt-intl" layout

6) assign Compose to some key in your keyboard, or to Shift+RAlt if
nothing else is available.

I personally use the options 5 and 6: dead-keys, compose and ISO-9995-3
alternate keys.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358