List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Announce: Network Manager Applet and Dataengine in kdereview
From:       Robert Knight <robertknight () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-05-14 5:05:15

Hi Chris,

Some comments:

* The widget UIs are constructed with code rather than Qt designer .ui
files.  Unless there is a good reason not to use designer it would make
life easier.  There are quite a few minor layout issues and fixing them
is more time consuming if it has to be fixed in code.

* The Wireless settings dialog's network name entry is labelled "ESSID".
Will users who use this part of the applet know what that is?  Perhaps
"Name (ESSID)" or better yet just "Name" would work?

* The access point selection 'map' is an interesting idea but in its
current incarnation it has several disadvantages over a straightforward
list:

- No keyboard navigation.
- The access point labels are small and the text is often cut off.  This
also makes the target area to hit with the mouse quite small.
- The network strength and security indicators are very small and there
is no room for the explanatory text to say what the icons are for.
- The indication of stronger signals meaning closer networks can be
misleading.  Right now it is showing my current network as being right
next to my PC.  In fact the router is actually upstairs and the closest
router (which belongs to the flat below mine) only has a weaker signal
because of additional walls and floors in the way.
- There is a disconnect in the representation used for the signal
strength in the plasma applet (a signal bar) and the representation used
in the access point dialog (distance from a PC).

A pretty animated map might impress users as a fun gimmick but because
of the issues outlined above I'm not sure it is wise to include it in
the first iteration of the applet instead of something simpler.

* The encryption settings dialog is pretty scary as it stands.  It
currently provides controls to enter 8 different pieces of information.
My guess is that the user will typically be given just one piece of
information by the network owner (unless the network owner and the user
are the same person) - the network key.

* It would be useful to have a way to see a basic summary of the
connection status, other than that provided by the applet's icon.
Information such as:
- Current state (Not connected, Connecting, Connected)
- Network name
- Security status ("Secured network" or "Unsecured network")

A tooltip which appears when hovering the mouse over the applet for
example?  More technical information (IP addresses, MAC addresses,
security type) may be useful but is probably best placed in a separate
dialog.

* Something for the future but I think it would be useful to try and
differentiate between "Connected to a network" and "Connected to a
network with internet access."  This is a point of confusion I have
witnessed quite often with Windows XP's status indicator and something
which Microsoft subsequently fixed in Vista by showing a highly
simplified diagram of the network topology in the UI:

Your Computer <---- (Link OK) ---> Router <---- (Link OK) ----> Internet

If the the connection at breaks between the router and the net:

Your Computer <---- (Link OK) ---> Router <---- (No connection) ---->
Internet

Regards,
Robert.