List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: no sound
From:       Arnold Krille <kde () arnoldarts ! de>
Date:       2008-05-13 8:57:51

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Am Dienstag, 13. Mai 2008 schrieb James Richard Tyrer:
> Arnold Krille wrote:
> >> Jack Audio Connection Kit
> >> Music, Video, Communications, Games and Accessibility use Jack, too. Is
> >> that correct? I think Jack is installed correctly:
> > Unless you know what you are doing, you shouldn't use jack. If you know
> > what you are doing, you also know that you actually have to run jackd. Or
> > at least provide a .jackdrc with your settings for the auto--started
> > jack...
> It may be worse than that -- it might not work for KDE4 even if you know
> what you are doing.  I can't get it to work.

Yeah, well, the problem is an old one: jack is intended for
(semi-)professional audio. While many people use it for desktop-sounds too,
that is not what jack is made for and its not what the devs support.
And real users of jack are quite happy to start jackd by hand/gui-apps with
specific options on specific (not cheap;) devices (can be alsa or firewire)
and have the desktop-soundsystem "just work" on the internal soundcard.

So what I meant with "if you know what you are doing" was "if you are a
musician or audio-tech and really know jack". Because jack is not (and never
intended to be) for the desktop-users, its for audio work...

Have fun,

Arnold
--
visit http://www.arnoldarts.de/