List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Asymmertric shortcuts
From:       Esben Mose Hansen <kde () mosehansen ! dk>
Date:       2008-04-21 7:57:44

On Sunday April 20 2008 21:56:31 Ben Boeckel wrote:
> I have been wondering why - and + are considered to be equivalent
> operations for things (such as changing font sizes with ctrl, and jumping
> between articles in Akregator) when + needs the shift key on a (US)
> keyboard which lack a NumPad (laptops come to mind). Even with a NumPad, I
> don't use those - and + keys with the modifiers all that often. Could
> ctrl+= be an alternate by default for those shortcuts? It would be more
> natural and having it as an alternate would keep those used to playing with
> the shift key from having to unlearn it. Thank you.

Please, for the love of all those of us who does not use US keyboard, don't
pollute the keyboard with all sort of non-sensical shortcuts :). E.g, = is
shift-0 here.

If we want something like this, it should be tied up to the keybaord layout,
so they are only enabled for those layout where it makes sense. Shouldn't be
too hard to make, but I'm not sure if it is a good idea. Then, e.g.
typeahead-search in konqueror could be bound to something more sensible on
the Danish keyboard than shift-7. (aka / )

--
regards, Esben