List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: [Fwd: Copy of your message to Logixoul: KDE TechBase e-mail]
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-04-07 6:31:05

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Saturday 05 April 2008, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> So, although having both a BRANCH and a TRUNK version of KDE-4 is
> something that every developer should have and something which isn't
> that simple.  I guess that I won't bother giving some tips on how to do
> it based on my experience.  I note that I DO have both TRUNK and KDE-4.0
> BRANCH installed on my system and after a few problems, they now coexist.

just write the page on techbase, and link it at *that* point. that was, after
all, the actual issue. then explain why you've offered it.

and yes, i think knowing how to have a branch and a trunk install in parallel
is useful. i'm sure many others would appreciate that information as well.

this doesn't require discussion, much less a big thread on kde-devel going
back and forth and arguing irrelevant points. some tips for future attempts
at overcoming points of disagreement:

* opening with an insult does not help get resolution, it just annoys people;
worse it risks people getting distracted e.g. discussing wikipedia in this
case (which is 100% irrelevant)

* this is probably the wrong list for this thread, but then it's probably hard
to find a better one without digging a bit (the www list is probably
the "right one)

* including half of a conversation (i don't see logixoul's response, if any,
in there) is half as good as including the whole one (which may mean waiting
until there is a whole conversation before forwarding it on to a list like
this one =)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se