List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: My Summer of Code Application draft
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2008-03-27 22:25:01

Urs Wolfer wrote:

> Nice, seems like you already have lots of different experiences. As I told
> you: please look into Qt example code (for example KGet code) to see how
> things exactly work.

I would concur with this.  Qt/KDELib programing is quite different than
simple (non-GUI) C++.  Although I had little experience with C++, I was
able to pick it up fairly easily since I have known C for a long time
(my first C text was K&Rs "white book") and my first project to hack the
Qt PS driver went well although I was told that I still use a FORTRAN
style.  However, I am still struggling with the Qt/KDELib parts of
coding.  Perhaps if you have previous experience with writing GUI code,
it may be easier for you.  But, if not, do not plan on a steep decent on
the learning curve.

--
JRT