List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Google Summer of Code Application Idea - Krunner
From:       Rafał_Rawicki <rawicki () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-03-26 21:45:03

Hi all!

I'm going to apply as a student for GSoC.
I have made a proposal loosely based on ideas page and something I
missed in KDE since playing with QuickSilver on Mac.
What do you think about my proposal? Every hints are welcome.

An enhancement I would like to contribute to the KDE project is meant to
improve Krunner's robustness and speed.

In my opinion Krunner should not only be a way of running applications,
complementary to e.g. Kickoff,
but also a tool for performing complete actions like simple file
management, adding calendar events, sending messages, etc.
I believe the more things we can comfortably do without touching the
mouse, the more productive we are.

The best known example of an application launcher providing these
features is probably QuickSilver for Mac OS X.
Although my aim is not porting the QuickSilver interface to KDE, but
rather giving KDE users a similar way of interacting
with their computers, I will propose analogous commands set and syntax,
relying on a well-tested and mature solution.

The first thing I am going to do is adding the autocompletion feature.
For example when entered:
- "konq->" krunner should choose Konqueror
- "~/De->" path will be completed to "~/Desktop"

When a valid filename is supplied to Krunner, it will list all
applications you can open it with and printers (if printing the file
makes any sense).
After that we can specify an action, which will be performed on the
file, and, optionally, its argument.

This simple interface will consist of the most obvious commands like:
- <file> Copy to <folder>
- <file> Move to <folder>
- <file> Move to Trash
- <file> Delete
- <folder> New Folder <folder>

and also simple text editing features, such as:
- <file> Append Text <text>
- <file> Prepend Text <text>

Other commands are going to be implemented in accordance to users'
feedback, which I hope to receive during the community bonding time.

Additionally, I want to provide a convenient UI for managing all of runners.
User should be able to activate/deactivate every runner, change their
priorities,
and maybe even get new runners through GetHotNewStuff.

--
Best regards
Rafał Rawicki