List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Qt version issues (again)
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2008-03-19 0:10:57

Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 18.03.08 14:18:54, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>> I find that KDESupport in SVN TRUNK now requires Qt-4.4.0 Beta to
>> compile Soprano.  It now uses:
>>
>> QCoreApplication::applicationPid
>>
>> which isn't in Qt-4.3.3.  Fortunately, the error message was clear
>> and obvious this time.
>>
>> Since KDE-4.0 BRANCH is dependent on Soprano, this meant that I was
>>  unable to build KDELibs-4.0 BRANCH against Soprano which was
>> linked against Qt-4.4.0 Beta.
>>
>> If this is correct that KDELibs-4.0 BRANCH and KDESupport should be
>>  built against >= Qt-4.4.0 Beta, then the build systems need to be
>>  updated to check for this version.
>
> No, your expectations are wrong.

There is no "expectations", I stated an If, THEN premise -- I am asking
the question.

HOWEVER, it is still true that if Soprano in TRUNK is now dependent on
Qt-4.4.0 Beta that the build system for KDESupport TRUNK should check
for this dependency.  Probably the build system for KDE-4.0 BRANCH
should also check for the correct Qt version if it is not supposed to be
built against >= Qt-4.4.0 but rather Qt-4.3.3.

> For kdelibs 4.0.x you should use the last Soprano release,
> trunk/kdesupport is for trunk/KDE not for branches/KDE/4.0.

This continues to become a larger and more complicated issue. :-(

IIUC, there is no KDESupport 4.0.x.  How to build KDE 4.0.x seems to be
missing from:

	http://techbase.kde.org/index.php?title=Getting_Started

and this:

http://techbase.kde.org/index.php?title=Getting_Started/Build/KDE4/Generic#kdesupport

clearly says to use:

	https://svn.kde.org/home/kde/trunk/kdesupport

But, I was already aware that these directions were not 100% correct.

Are we trying to keep this a secret? :-)

I will figure it out, but instructions are needed.

I also find that KDESupport will not uninstall which further complicates
the matter.

--
JRT