List:       kde-devel
Subject:    KDE and samba LDB integration
From:       Bogdan Bivolaru <bogdan.bivolaru () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-02-25 5:02:44

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

    In January/ February 2006 you [Aaron] posted a message about using
    >> ldb.samba.org <http://ldb.samba.org> as a backend for KConfig XT and
    as a backend for KConfig .. XT is something that works with KConfig, but is
    something a bit different.

> > > using it in KDE 4 (http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2006/01/ldb-take-2.html)
> > > What is the status of this initiative?
>
    > kconfig changed fairly dramatically since that blog entry and the backend
    would need to be written again. however, ldb itself was improved in various
    ways needed to make it a viable contender and my work showed that it was more
    than just an interesting concept but that it's completely doable.

Possibly due to my lack of experience with KDE I don't actually know how to find your \
work or are you talking about the scripts in the playground?

> > > is it planned for KDE 4.2?
>
    > depends on my schedule and whether there is any external demand for it. those
    two things help adjust my priorities.

> > > What are the show stoppers? Any junior jobs here?
>
     > when the branch merge happened, the plugin loading was completely
    broken. i'm
    fixing that right now and am testing with a stub plugin in
    playground. would
    you be interested in working on the LDB backend itself?

I did manage to find some of your work at \
http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/playground/base/kconfig/ldb/. Looks interesting, so I'll \
see what I can do. I'll start working on it on the 14-15th of March.

--
"The best way to predict the future is to invent it.", 1971, Alan Kay: \
http://www.smalltalk.org/alankay.html