List:       kde-devel
Subject:    KDE and samba LDB integration
From:       Bogdan Bivolaru <bogdan.bivolaru () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-02-24 21:49:40

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Hello KDE developers,

This email was initially sent and addressed only to Aaron Seigo, but
after sending it I realised I would get a better answer if I posted it
on the developers mailing list. I hope resending it to the right address
is not going to upset you.

My name is Bogdan Bivolaru and I am a KDE user, hoping to contribute
some to the KDE project.
Enough said about me, here is what bothers me and you hopefully can
enlighten me:

In January/ February 2006 you [Aaron] posted a message about using
ldb.samba.org <http://ldb.samba.org> as a backend for KConfig XT and
using it in KDE 4 (http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2006/01/ldb-take-2.html)
What is the status of this initiative? is it planned for KDE 4.2? What
are the show stoppers? Any junior jobs here?

While similar ideas are poping up and all participants realize that a
simple common configuration system is a gold mine for free software, too
few initiatives have succeeded to get out of the design board:

    * /"Mickael Marchand created a branch in KDE SVN to work on a KDE
      configuration storage system based SQL [sqlite]. This picks up the
      idea to have more ways in KDE to store the configuration than just
      having the file based way"
      /http://commit-digest.org/issues/2007-08-19// got this link from
      http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2007/08/20/kde-config-to-get-a-sql-backend/,
      /

//

    * The Elektra/ Linux Registry project, now dead in the water
      http://elektra.g4ii.com/Main_Page, http://www.libelektra.org. This
      was especially interesting since samba developers considered using
      it before developing their own configuration repository, ldb, and
      because they had a marvelous idea that it should run as a frontend
      to the Windows registry and MacOS X settings repository (which
      fits pretty well with the KDE portability effort to Windows and
      MacOS) http://www.libelektra.org/Windows_Registry.

    * The dconf project,

    "/Dconf is a tool to collect a system's hardware and software
    configuration. It allows to take your system configuration with you
    or compare systems (like nodes in a cluster) to troubleshoot HW or
    SW problems./" http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/dconf/. And some
    critical thought of Aaron Seigo on the dconf project
    http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2005/04/stupidity-of-dconf.html
    UPDATE: this seems to have some usage in the Gnome project
    http://live.gnome.org/dconf

So, what are your thoughts about this?

Thanks,

Bogdan

--
"The best way to predict the future is to invent it.", 1971, Alan Kay: \
http://www.smalltalk.org/alankay.html