List:       kde-devel
Subject:    I know this is a bit late with nokia
From:       Peter Dolding <oiaohm () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-02-01 10:21:03

> Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 23:57:38 +0100
> From: Arnold Krille <kde@arnoldarts.de>
> Subject: Re: Nokia and Trolltech
> To: kde-devel@kde.org

>> > Yes, they will. Read the announcements. Nokia will continue Qt development
>> > and support the free software community just as Trolltech did before.
>>
> They even seem willing to become a patron of KDE. You don't try to
> become a patron if you want to ditch all this shortly afterwards. Not
> every time one company buys another it is a bad thing! Arnold
http://www.nokia.com/link?cid=EDITORIAL_8173  <<  Do you think we can
get such a agreement out of Nokia.

Its a nice double.  Number 1 we are protected against any current Nokia
patent and they have a limited time frame to give us notice of breach.
So stepping on Nokia toes are not going to come years latter.

But if someone attacks Linux kernel  Nokia reserves there right to
return fire with there portfolio.

Nokia is not the most evil company out there.   Linux kernel was in
breach of some of Nokia's patents but Nokia decided not to attack.
Nokia most likely will talk and try to come to a solution first even if
its not exactly ideal for them.  Its no worse than stepping on one of
apples or sun's patents.  With talk it can be sorted out no block of
distribution or anything.

Nokia support for open source runs a lot deeper than just QT.
Particularly when they are asking what they can do for Open Source.
Patent protection in one form or another is nice.  That they back
software patents is a zero issue if we have agreements that we are
safe.  Even better if Nokia reserves the right to shot back if KDE and
other open source is attacked.

Peter Dolding