Hi All, This is an attempt to explain where I'm coming from in my view on what KSnapshot should be about. Since KDE 1.x KSnapshot has offered a dialog-style UI for taking screenshots, with the emphasis being on keeping the interface as simple as possible. However, KSnapshot gets a lot of feature requests: in general these can be classified into a few groups: 1. Send to 'XX' This could be an application (e.g. Krita) or a contact via email or instant messaging. 2. Ability to annotate screen shots i.e. "I'd like to put a label on the bit I'm talking about". Closely related to this is the request that people be able to turn the image into an image map for a web page. 3. The ability to record a movie of their desktop. This includes both recording a movie for demo purposes and those who want to spy on their users for good reasons or bad. 4. The ability to do more stuff from the command line. This was addressed by Laurent's addition of kbackgroundsnapshot for just this purpose. In order to support 1 and 2 without compromising the simplicity of the interface, in KDE 4.x we (Aaron to be specific) replaced the print button with a more generic option of 'Open With' which allows you to send the screenshot results directly to your chosen application for further processing. This hopefully strikes a decent balance whilst supporting the use-cases of 1 and 2 (which I agree are sensible). Supporting the 3rd request is not really practical as the interface and technical requirements of a screenshot application are very different from a desktop video application (and KDE already has KRecordMyDesktop for this purpose). If my aim was to implement drop shadows for KSnapshot then what I'd be doing is writing a 'make a picture nice for presentation' wizard which registered itself as willing to support KSnapshots. This would allow a nice workflow from KSnapshot using the 'Open With' button but would avoid destroying the simplicity of the existing interface. It would have the added advantage of being usable for images from other sources. This would then have features like drop-shadows, rotating images to fit in a page etc. From the existing requests in bugzilla, the single request that stands out most for me as being something that should be addressed within the existing KSnapshot UI is the request to be able to grab a single screen in a Xinerama desktop. This is definitely something that is within KSnapshot's scope and is almost strong enough to regard as a bug. I've said before that I'm perfectly willing for there to be another front-end to the ksnapshot backend for people who want 'a button for every possibility' that still stands. Hopefully though, I've explained why I don't think this should be the default. Cheers Rich. >> Visit http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-devel#unsub to unsubscribe <<