List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Where to start: C++ for students & KDE4
From:       Arnold Krille <kde () arnoldarts ! de>
Date:       2008-01-31 20:55:38

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Am Donnerstag, 31. Januar 2008 schrieb RalfGesellensetter:
> My questions are:
> - What tools to use

g++ and cmake and an editor :-)

> - Which tutorials to recommend

I learned c++ and Qt (version 1.44 at that time) by the very good tutorial
shipped with the qt documentation. Two months ago a co-worker of mine used
them too, now he kind of understands what I am doing in my code all day.

> - Do you have ideas of initial tasks or of simple
>   samples to analyse?

Long time ago I heard that every programmer should have written an email
client, and ftp client and an editor. Don't know if that still applies. Why
not start with small applets for plasma and go on to much deeper things later
on. And don't get distracted by the bindings to other languages like
python,... ;-)

If you want them to read books (on the level after the direct beginners): "The
C++ programming language" by Bjarn Stroustroup(?) (the guy who invented
c++), "Design pattern" by the gang of four and "GUI-programming with Qt4" are
the ones I own and read.

Have fun,

Arnold
--