List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: [kde] kde4: blurry fonts
From:       "=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Renan_Teston_In=E1cio?=" <zerocaronte () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-01-30 5:18:01

I made a long email because I was writing and testing stuff while
things came to my head. See last paragraph for a potential bug. Or
enjoy the reading until there.

rgb and vrgb seems to "fix", but looking with kmag, it shows that it
is just "blurring" with colors (as it was supposed to, since it is a
subpixel hinting for LCD)

I played with the other settings, and i found that:

 <match target="font" >
  <edit mode="assign" name="hintstyle" >
   <const>hintfull</const>
  </edit>
 </match>

hintfull instead of hintmedium makes it looks exactly like gtk/qt3 apps
Which is very weird, since I was supposed to be using the BCI hinter,
instead of freetype's auto hinter, so this setting should not have any
effect (changing autohinter between true and false changes nothing).
Turns out that I'm probably not using BCI and have no idea why, but
that's another problem. I tried Arial and Bitstream Vera Sans.

Using gentoo, freetype-2.3.5 (which was supposed to have BCI compiled)

Oh, and in KDE3 I'm using "system's default", but setting manually to
full hinting gives the same effect (and to medium, the blurry fonts)

Now, the point:
1) Remove .fonts.conf and note that qtconfig is displaying like KDE3
in "system's default" mode
2) Open systemsettings and force a medium hinting, then apply. Open
qtconfig and note the blurry font
3) On systemsettings, change back to use system's default. Open
qtconfig and note that the fonts are blurry again
Conclusion (?): systemsettings is not changing to "system's default"
correctly after previously creating a ~/.fonts.conf