List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Konqueror Branch 3.5 JPEG thumbnail creation issue
From:       "Steven P. Ulrick" <lists-kdedevel () afolkey2 ! net>
Date:       2008-01-21 21:35:11

On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 06:36:30 -0600
"Steven P. Ulrick" <lists-kdedevel@afolkey2.net> wrote:

> Hello, Everyone

> The actual problem is that if I have a directory of images open in
> Konqueror using the "Icon View", only the thumbnails for images OTHER
> THAN jpeg's are generated:
> http://www.afolkey2.net/~steve/001.jpg
>
> If I create a user and NEVER log them into my branch 3.5 KDE install,
> if I run the Konqueror that ships with Fedora 8, this is the result
> using the same directory of images:
> http://www.afolkey2.net/~steve/002.jpg
>
> Also, this is a screenshot of Konqueror's "View | Preview" menu:
> http://www.afolkey2.net/~steve/004.jpg
>
> All of this has "just worked" for me for years.  It even worked for
> me properly AFTER my recent fresh install of Fedora 8, but BEFORE a
> recent upgrade of KDE from Branch 3.5.
>
> Steven P. Ulrick

Hello, Everyone
Forgot to mention that I saw something about kioslave's in the terminal
output when would sit there watching the thumbnails for jpeg's not
being created.  So I removed all kio* directories from my copy of the
SVN code and re-updated and re-installed.  No joy...

So, I am going to try another idea:
1. Create another entirely new user.
2. Install a completely new installation of KDE from a fresh download
of the SVN code.
3. Compile and install AT LEAST up to and including kdebase with
"--enable-debug=full"
4. All of this will be done to a completely fresh location where KDE
has never been installed before.

I will get back to you with the results.

Steven P. Ulrick
--
 15:28:31 up 13 days, 23:22,  2 users,  load average: 0.29, 0.14, 0.13