List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: unable to build kdepimlibs
From:       Andreas Pakulat <apaku () gmx ! de>
Date:       2008-01-14 18:41:16

On 14.01.08 17:41:17, David Jarvie wrote:
> On Monday 14 January 2008 16:50, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> > Allen Winter wrote:
> >> Fixed in the kdepimlibs/CMakeLists.txt file.
> >> Apparently, the macro_log_feature() call that made boost a requirement
> >> was
> >> removed during the recent merge.
> >>
> >> In summary:
> >> if you don't have Boost, or if your version of Boost cannot be found by
> >> CMake's FindBoost => the cmake will tell you about it nicely and quit.
> >
> > Ok (thanks for CC'ing me the commit, btw), although for the record,
> > cmake's FindBoost still thinks boost-1.32.1 in prefix=/usr is
> > acceptable. I think we agreed this is cmake's problem though.
>
> Forgive me if I'm missing something, but I don't understand why cmake
> should look for any particular version, since it isn't a KDE-specific
> utility. Some other project might be quite happy with Boost version 0.9 -
> why should cmake's FindBoost reject that version? It's surely up to KDE to
> define which version is acceptable and test for that (in its own
> FindBoost?).

The problem is that FindBoost doesn't provide any means to do such
version checking, which is bad because everybody who needs it has to
invent his own cmake code for that.

The problem with a lot of the cmake-supplied FindXX modules is simply
that they're user-contributed and haven't gone through serious review at
kitware.

Andreas

--
You're not my type.  For that matter, you're not even my species!!!