List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: unable to build kdepimlibs
From:       Allen Winter <winter () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-01-12 16:09:52

On Friday 11 January 2008 15:33:47 Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > On 10.01.08 17:58:29, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> >> Which, I suppose, is an interesting point... how would people feel about
> >> me forking FindBoost.cmake into kdepimlibs to work around KitWare's
> >> defective version?
> >
> > I suspect Alexander wouldn't be too happy with it. Also I'm still trying
> > to find some spare time to look at FindBoost and integrate KDevelop's
> > FindBoostLibraries, so that I then can send the whole bunch to Kitware
> > for inclusing in 2.6.1 or some such...
>
> That would probably be nice. Meanwhile I had to fork FindBoost.cmake
> anyway because, as written, it doesn't respect a non-standard BOOST_ROOT
> and insists on using the old one in /usr/include instead of 1.34.1. (I
> didn't check it in though, and don't currently plan to.)
>
> Allen: well, I did end up upgrading, but I don't like things that
> configure successfully and then fail to build :-) (I agree that in this
> case it's at least partly cmake's fault). IMO that's a failure in the
> build system.
>
> > Also: Are you sure you can build pimlibs with your boost? I'm thinking
> > about boost breaking BC/SC with 1.3x releases. In which case you'd have
> > to upgrade anyway.
>
> Yes, when I wrote the original e-mail, I successfully built with the
> previous (before 1/8) revision. Until 1/8 I'd been building most of
> trunk, and running small things (kwin, kcmshell, kate, kdevelop... maybe
> not anything from PIM though) just fine.

Fixed in the kdepimlibs/CMakeLists.txt file.
Apparently, the macro_log_feature() call that made boost a requirement was
removed during the recent merge.

In summary:
if you don't have Boost, or if your version of Boost cannot be found by
CMake's FindBoost => the cmake will tell you about it nicely and quit.