List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE4, Ready to 11/01?
From:       "Joshua J. Berry" <des () condordes ! net>
Date:       2008-01-06 5:53:03

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Saturday 05 January 2008 13:35:24 Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Joshua J. Berry wrote:
> >Release quality?   No way.
>
> Please read Aaron's blog for more information:
> http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2008/01/talking-bluntly.html

I understand and agree with most of what Aaron is saying.  I'm a developer
by profession -- I understand there will always be bugs, more features to
add, etc.  I understand there is a point at which you need to say, "it's
not perfect, but this is it".

But there is always that question of where the line needs to be drawn, and
IMO KDE has been over-eager to avoid E17's mistake of "release when it's
perfect^H^H^H^H^H^Hready".

When you say "alpha", or "beta", or "release", you're making a statement
about what shape your software is in.  You're saying, "I certify this
software is of this quality."  Aaron doesn't say a single word about the
flip side of the "release early, release often" mantra -- which is if you
release TOO early, and you say something is of release quality when it's
not, you've damaged your reputation and people are less likely to take you
seriously.

I don't expect--and I doubt most people expect--that KDE 4.0 will be up to
the same level of quality as KDE 3.5.  Particularly with 3.5, my impression
is KDE has built a reputation for producing full-featured, high-quality
software that is a pleasure to use.  (At least, that's how *I* feel. ;) )

But the flipside is now you have a reputation to uphold.  The KDE4 promise
is huge, and I have little doubt you will follow through.  But IMO 4.0.0
doesn't come anywhere close to living up to the quality standard set by the
3.5 series, and by saying it's ready to go you are setting your users up
for disappointment.

Regardless of your motivation for calling it 4.0.0, the simple fact is
you're calling it release-quality when it's not.  I may be wrong, but I
think that is a mistake that will damage KDE's reputation.

-- Josh

--
Joshua J. Berry

"I haven't lost my mind -- it's backed up on tape somewhere."
    -- /usr/games/fortune