List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE4, Ready to 11/01?
From:       "Joshua J. Berry" <des () condordes ! net>
Date:       2008-01-05 21:22:10

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thursday 03 January 2008 16:01:49 Otávio Souza wrote:
> Hi guys, I was just asking my self If KDE4 will be ready on 11/01, so,
> you all that are the guys ;) Will it be?

You won't see me using 4.0.0.

There are way too many showstopper (for me) bugs still present.  Plasma -- a
central KDE4 component -- is still missing a lot of (for me) critical
features.  KMail can't even get through my inbox without the ioslave
crashing.  Konqueror has problems with websites I visit regularly.

I've isolated and filed bugs on a lot of these, but devs haven't gotten
around to them yet.  That's perfectly fine -- I'm NOT complaining that
nobody's worked on my pet bug.  (I have no room to complain when I barely
have time to *file* bugs, let alone learn how to code for KDE so I can fix
them.)  But from what I've seen so far I don't think 4.0.0 will be worthy
of the name.

KDE4 is shaping up to be a fine piece of software.  But IMO there's still a
long way to go before it could be called anything but alpha- or
beta-quality.

Release quality?  No way.

-- Josh

--
Joshua J. Berry

"I haven't lost my mind -- it's backed up on tape somewhere."
    -- /usr/games/fortune