List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Plasma Icons on DeskTop (continued) [Rant]]
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2007-12-25 12:11:04

Brad Hards wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 December 2007 08:52:10 pm James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> <snip>
>> Changing the font size for the desktop still does nothing and the
>> unchangeable default is a bit large for 32x32 icons.
> <snip>
>> Icon size is set at 32 pixels and it appears that 2 out of 3 desktop
>> icons are that size.  The other one seems to be 48x48 and I have no idea
>> why.
>>
>> Please!  Do not take any of this personally.  I do not intend any of it
>> or what I posted on the dot as anything personal.  I am just asking
>> developers to be realistic.  IMHO, this is not a few bugs or stuff that
>> can be fixed with a few lines of code.  It is seriously broken and some
>> of it hasn't even been written yet.  It isn't going to get done in 16
>> days.  We don't even have a proper release candidate of the Plasma
>> DeskTop and we are talking about releasing it in 16 days.  This is folly!
>>
>> Being realistic, there is only one answer and that is not to release it
>> till it is ready.
> You want to delay the release because some icons are the wrong size?

No, we should delay the release because there are major problems with
the new desktop.  It is not about some icons, it is about the fact that
the configuration system doesn't work.  This is ONLY ONE indication of
the major problem that in general configuration in Plasma has many
issues.  Would it help if I listed some of them.

If you read what I said, you would see what some of them are.  However,
perhaps I should go into more detail.

Plasma has major issues in using the configurations set in
SystemSettings.  Other settings that should use system settings are set
in Plasma configuration dialogs instead.  For example, the clock.  It
doesn't follow the time and date formats set in SystemSettings.  I am
starting to get the impression that Plasma isn't well integrated with KDE4.

A major issue with Plasma is that configuration changes do not properly
take effect.  Note that I said that for the icon size setting in
SystemSettings to take effect that it was necessary to delete the
plasma-appletsrc file.  Otherwise, the change does not take effect, even
if you log out and log back in again.

I presume that the configuration issue is a core problem and not
specific to the icon issue.  AJS says that there is a core Plasma
library and that it takes very little code to make a "Plasmoid".  If
that is the case, this core library should take care of these things --
it doesn't, so it is broken.

> Don't take this personally, but you're delusional.

Mocking sarcasm is considered to be rude by most people.  Did you intend
to be rude?

No matter how rude you are or how much you try to minimize the problem,
it still won't change the facts -- if you "shoot the messenger", the
message remains the same.  Or, perhaps the story of the Emperor's new
clothes is more to the point -- group think won't change the facts either.

I will not say that you are delusional because that is too strong a word
to use.  However, I will say that developers appear to be in a state of
denial regarding what is needed before KDE4 is actually ready for
release.  This seems to be consistent with the corporate culture where
bugs are minimized and "talked down" rather than being fixed.

--
JRT