List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Plasma Icons on DeskTop (continued) [Rant]]
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2007-12-25 9:52:10

I didn't want to continue this on the dot since AJS totally
misunderstood my point which was quite simple:

It isn't finished yet.  It doesn't work.

Calling this situation bugs doesn't help with the problem either.

IAC, after several days, it is possible to change the icons on the
desktop.  However, only by logging out and deleting:

	$HOME/.kde4/share/config/plasma-appletsrc

Changing the font size for the desktop still does nothing and the
unchangeable default is a bit large for 32x32 icons.

I still get the: "This object could not be created" error widget when I
drag something to the desktop.  Coincidently, these don't have a button
to get rid of them.

And then there is this interesting anomaly:

	http://home.earthlink.net/~tyrerj/kde/snapshot5.jpg

Icon size is set at 32 pixels and it appears that 2 out of 3 desktop
icons are that size.  The other one seems to be 48x48 and I have no idea
why.

Please!  Do not take any of this personally.  I do not intend any of it
or what I posted on the dot as anything personal.  I am just asking
developers to be realistic.  IMHO, this is not a few bugs or stuff that
can be fixed with a few lines of code.  It is seriously broken and some
of it hasn't even been written yet.  It isn't going to get done in 16
days.  We don't even have a proper release candidate of the Plasma
DeskTop and we are talking about releasing it in 16 days.  This is folly!

Being realistic, there is only one answer and that is not to release it
till it is ready.

--
JRT