List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE4 TIFF file issues
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2007-12-15 18:56:43

Andreas Hartmetz wrote:
> Am Donnerstag 13 Dezember 2007 19:19:31 schrieb James Richard Tyrer:
>> I find that:
>>
>> Thumbnails/previews don't work for TIFF files in Dolphin and Gwenview.
>>
>> Okular is one of the defaults for TIFF files, but it won't open them.
>>
>> Gwenview will display TIFF files but zoom isn't available.
>
> I just wanted to add that TIFF is reportedly a difficult and complex format.
> Look it up on Wikipedia. It may be that you just have exotic TIFF files, or
> that some exotic feature broke somewhere in the stack from libtiff up to KDE
> and nobody noticed because the feature is being used very little.

Although ImagMagick says that the image is just a JPEG compressed TIFF,
the problems appear to be specific to the image.  I opened it in GIMP
and saved it as a JPEG compressed TIFF and that new image does work.  So
mystery partially solved.  Still don't know why KDE3 doesn't have any
problems with it -- same image and same TIFF library.

--
JRT