List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KCalc and KRegexpEditor Need Maintainers
From:       Matthew Woehlke <mw_triad () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2007-12-10 21:38:21

Diederik van der Boor wrote:
> I've always found it odd that users of modern computers with so much
> processing power have to deal with immitations of old calculator interfaces.
> This is emulated so such extend that the interface even includes M+ and M-
> buttons to store data, and lack of intelligence to handle expressions like 2
> + 1 * 2.

Heh. Especially when modern pocket calculators are more and more like
computers (i.e. can save variables, handle "2+1*2", etc). :-)

> I always recommend speedcrunch to anyone who does calculations with computers.
> It has a good overview with past calculations, variables, powerful functions,
> and still features buttons so beginners can use it as well.

Hmm... speedcrunch (at least the screenshot) looks a lot like one of
said modern pocket calculators (or a TI-8x, anyway).

Now if it could just do 2d/3d graphs, perform symbolic integration, and
play Pong*...

(* ...because the ability to run games written in its own assembly
language is a required feature, without which it is incomplete ;-).)

--
Matthew
No bits were harmed in the making of this .sig.