List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KCalc and KRegexpEditor Need Maintainers
From:       Loïc_Corbasson <loic.corbasson () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-12-10 3:43:27

Am jeudi 6 décembre 2007 schrieb Jonathan Riddell:
> On Tue, Dec 04, 2007 at 08:30:21AM +0100, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > Allen Winter wrote:
> > >...oh, and I forgot to mention that KCalc builds against GMP.
> > >But GMP has a new license that is incompatible. ?So GMP will
> > >need to be stripped out. ? At least that's what I've been told.
> >
> > We can *temporarily* push this problem downstream to distributors.
> >
> > KCalc's GMP support was developed when said library was GPLv2. If
> > the distribution or the user upgrade to an incompatible version,
> > that's not our fault.
> >
> > But, like I said, it's a temporary solution. Distributions will not
> > be happy by having to install an old version for license
> > compatibility only.
>
> I agree with Thiago that in the short term we just have to tell
> distros to ship a second old libgmp or not compile kcalc.  An
> alternative would be to ship our own static libgmp (more work for us
> but no duplicated similar work for distros).
>
> Longer term we keep going with the process to make sure our licencing
> is GPL 3 happy and hope Trolltech release Qt under GPL 3 soon.
>
> Alternativly kcalc could be replaced with my personal favourite
> Speedcrunch.
>
> Jonathan

I've been playing with KDE-ization of Speedcrunch in the last weeks,
some work is still ahead[1] but that may be an alternative to the
broken KCalc and license incompatibilities if nobody feels like fixing
them. I can import that to playground or post patches if somebody is
interested, it's based on Speedcrunch 0.9 and is integrated to my local
KDE buildsystem. AFAIK only configuration and i18n (Qt tr() calls)
still have to be ported to KDE libraries.

The mandatory screenshot:
http://img80.imageshack.us/my.php?image=blogkalkulettestage2ks9.png
:-)

Regards,

Loïc

[1] Especially since I believe the most clever choice is to make
reintegration with original Speedcrunch possible: forking is not my
goal if this gets released. Maybe Ariya Hidayat could be of some help
on that?

--
Loïc Corbasson <loic.corbasson@gmail.com>