List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Feedback KDE4 (0)
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2007-11-28 4:20:09

James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> Sebastian Kuegler wrote:
>>>
>>> i don't think that matters here.
>>
>> If you actually had a look at the code, you would've noticed that the
>>  *rendered* size in a given fontface is used to base the layouting
>> on.
>>
>> Please, use the source Luke.
>>
> If that is what the source is supposed to do then it isn't working.

In case anyone wants to reproduce this problem, I have determined where
I got the fonts.

The small one is URW Mauritius TTF from the URW free fonts:

	ftp://ftp.gimp.org/pub/gimp/fonts/urw-fonts.tar.gz

The file name is: Mauritius-Reg.ttf

The other one is Arabic Newspaper which comes with X11 in:
font-arabic-misc-1.0.0  You should find it here:

	<X11 prefix>/lib/X11/fonts/misc/arabic24.pcf.gz

Perhaps the bitmapped font isn't a good example.  However, an app must
deal with whatever a user can throw at it.  I didn't realize it when I
selected it but it comes in only one size: 32 pixels high.  However QT3
will resize bitmapped fonts.  Although I don't think that the FontDialog
properly deals with bitmapped fonts in KDE4, it does seem to be able to
resize them.

Sorry that this isn't simple.  Having looked into it a bit, I find that
fonts are a mess, but we have to deal with it.  The W3C has tried to
promulgate standards, but the font makers don't seem interested.  ARGH!

--
JRT