List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: ktempfile
From:       David Faure <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-11-09 11:11:50

On Thursday 08 November 2007, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> On Thursday 08 of November 2007, David Faure wrote:
> > On Thursday 18 October 2007, Jaison Lee wrote:
> > > [...]
> >
> > I think that what people missed in this thread is that history is shared
> > among konqueror windows, which could be in different processes. So we do
> > need to write to the file immediately so that your url comboboxes all have
> > the new url in it (this isn't about statistics, it's about the url combo's
> > items). Well, more precisely: the new url is sent to other windows using
> > dcop/dbus, but if you open a new window (in a new process) it will read
> > from the kconfig file. So a 5 minutes autosave would just lead to bugs.
>
>  No, it wouldn't. If you open a file, write to it and close it, then the data
> is written somewhere, at least to the kernel buffers. When another process
> opens the file and reads from it, after the previous one has already closed
> it, then it will read the new contents ... from the buffers, from the disk,
> from wherever.

Yes so you mean syncing every 5 minutes would be fine. I agree.
I said "a 5 minutes autosave" as in: if konqueror didn't write anything out
during 5 minutes, i.e. a possible higher-level fix that people suggested.

Anyway, your idea of disabling the sync automatically unless the filesystem needs it,
sounds good. Note that KMountPoint can help you detecting the filesystem type
in a portable way.