List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: no plasma applets / desktop menu in KDE4
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2007-10-27 7:02:55

Michael Thaler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I regularly compile KDE 4 from svn and I have a problem with plasma. First my
> desktop has a strange "border", see:
> http://users.physik.tu-muenchen.de/mthaler/snapshot1.jpeg
> I am not sure if this has something to do with plasma or not. Second, no
> plasma
> applets are shown on the desktop at all and the toolbox to add them is gone
> (and I don't see the new replacement). Also right-clicking on the desktop does
> doesn't show a menu.
>
> I compiled the following kde modules:
> kdesupport
> kdelibs
> kdepimlibs
> kdebase
>
> I also used to compile playground/plasma, but I think it is not necessary
> anymore (I compiled it anyway, but it didn't change anything). I also deleted
> my .kde4 directory, but that didn't help either. I think I once saw a message
> about an applet that could not be loaded in the panel. Could that be the
> reason? What can I do to fix this?

I would try to uninstall: "playground/plasma" and then reinstall the 3
KDE modules.

If that doesn't fix it, you are going to need to delete your KDE-4
installation and reinstall.  You should expect to need to do this
occasionally.

Please note that the current SVN r729767 doesn't work very well --
Plasma is broken.

--
JRT