List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Add LUKS support to media ioslave
From:       Kevin Ottens <ervin () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-10-23 10:46:03

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Le mardi 23 octobre 2007, Jan Klötzke a écrit :
> The attached patch adds support for LUKS encrypted removable drives and
> harddisks through HAL to the media kioslave, being a possible solution for
> Bug 113629. It applies against KDE 3.5.8 and does the following:
>
> - introduce new media/*_mounted_decrypted, media/*_unmounted_decrypted and
> media/*_unmounted_encrypted mimetypes (with respective icons)
> - add generic decryption support to the mediamanager
> - implement decryption in HAL-backend
> - extend kio_media_mounthelper to display decryption dialog and also
> "encrypt" the media again before 'eject' is called if "safely removed"

Does it have anything to do with the patch the suse people apply to handle
encrypted volumes? If it have nothing to do with it, it might be a good idea
to take a look at it first?

> The advantage of this approach is that it reflects the
> encryption/decryption state to the user. Now the following media device
> states are visible:
>
> Normal device:
>   - unmounted
>   - mounted
> Encrypted device:
>   - unmounted+encrypted
>   - unmounted+decrypted
>   - mounted+decrypted
>
> The current patch is neither complete nor cleaned up. The scheme has to be
> extended for all media types and KWallet integration would be nice too. I
> also know that Solid is about to replace most of the (HAL) backend stuff in
> mediamanager. So my questions are...
>
> What could be improved? Is this approach feasible and would it have a
> chance to be included?

Well, I tend to be very picky about adding feature in 3.5.x, but this one
would be nice to have there indeed.

> If yes, is there a chance that it could be included into the 3.5 branch or
> isn't it worth it to complete it on 3.5? Should it be based on trunk or
> even wait for mediamanager to be rewritten for Solid?

Well, Solid knows how to handle encrypted volumes, it already works for a
while in Dolphin for instance, I just have to polish a bit the UI.
And for the record the "mediamanager" didn't make it for KDE4, it's gone
(replaced by better facilities). ;-)

For the patch itself (code wise), at a glance it looks fine. Now, I'm not sure
about the approach since it 2 times more mimetypes... Which is well,
understandable seeing the approach you chose and the design brokeness of kio
media. I'm pretty sure the patch applied by the suse people doesn't have this
problem (it's more a hotplug reaction thing), so it's really worth a look
before going for a final solution which could make it for a potential 3.5.9
(keep in mind we have nothing like this planned at the moment).

Regards.
Ne font reculer l'ignorance."