List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: DBUS and KDE 4
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2007-10-22 0:28:53

Giovanni Venturi wrote:
> Hello.
> I've got a big trouble. I can't see KDE 4 working. I explain better.
> I've got KDE 3.5svn installed and I create a kde4.desktop session just
> specifying the path of the startkde for KDE 4 installation. But when I start
> the KDE 4 session DBUS doesn't work. Each application started from krunner
> says this to me.
> I tryed qdbus and I got:
>
> Could not connect to D-Bus server:
> org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ExecFailed: Failed to execute dbus-launch to
> autolaunch D-Bus session
>
> this because I need to run:
>
> export DBUSDIR=/usr
> alias dbusstart="eval `PATH=$DBUSDIR/bin
> $DBUSDIR/bin/dbus-launch --auto-syntax`"
>
> but to let this be executed the DISPLAY environment variable has to be setted,
> so I tryed to add:
>
> export DBUSDIR=/usr
> alias dbusstart="eval `PATH=$DBUSDIR/bin
> $DBUSDIR/bin/dbus-launch --auto-syntax`"
>
> in the .bashrc of the user that runs KDE 4 environment but I have to set also
> DISPLAY.
>
> Now I ask how can I know on which DISPLAY I will start KDE 4? Can be
> DISPLAY=:0.0 or DISPLAY=:1 or others.
>
> How can I fix this issue without to specialize .bashrc?
>
> I've got Slackware 12.

All of your ~.bash_profile (on Linux) should have:

if test -z "$DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS" ; then
     eval `dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session`
fi

This is covered in the dbus-launch man page.  Note that you must use
"eval" because you want it to take effect in the process which ran the
script.

You also need to have the global dbus daemon running as user=messagebus
group=messagebus.  This needs to be started at login with your startup
scripts.  Run "ksysguard" in KDE 3 to see if it is running.  If you
don't have that user and private group, you need to create them.

I am not familiar with the SlackWare startup script so you will have to
RTFM on that.

--
JRT