List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Retrieve String from Window
From:       "none none" <x0p.sci () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2007-10-16 17:25:54

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction with
regards to the following problem:

Lets say I have a program running, perhaps KEdit.
The computer user has entered text into the KEdit text window.

I want to write a program that will act completely independently of
KEdit (i.e. with no modifications to KEdit code), with the program
being able to retrieve the string that the user wrote into the KEdit
window.

I was thinking, at a very abstract level, that the easiest way to do
this (without logging keystrokes - I don't want to go down that road)
would be through some function of Xorg or KDE, perhaps something along
the lines of calling a function which would get the text in a textbox
within a window, against a pointer which represents the KDE KEdit
window.

Does anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks in advance,
Any thoughts are much appreciated.